By Micki Brown
1 pound ground pork
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 tsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp cooking sake
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 ½ tsp sea salt
2 tbsp corn starch
1 ½ pounds winter melon, seeds and rind removed
5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp dried cilantro or ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine the pork, ginger, garlic, sake, soy sauce, sea salt, egg and corn starch in a medium bowl. Shape into meatballs – about 1 tablespoon each
- Cut the melon into eighths lengthwise, then cut each into ½-inch slices.
- In a Dutch oven, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the meatballs slowly, one at a time. Stir gently 2 or 3 times, then transfer the meatballs to a plate. They won’t be fully cooked yet.
- Add the winter melon to the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until the melon begins to soften.
- Gently add the meatballs to the broth and melon. Bring back to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat, cover and allow soup to rest for 5 or 6 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Serve and enjoy.