- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 bunch (1 pound) asparagus, tough ends removed, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 4 strips lemon zest, thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1 small red pepper, halved then slice thinly with vegetable peeler (optional)
- ½ cup sundried tomato, cut into small pieces with scissors (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Add asparagus and lemon zest to pot; immediately drain pasta mixture, and return to pot.
- Add butter and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, and toss, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce. Top with Parmesan.
Use a vegetable peeler to create asparagus ribbons and Parmesan shavings. You can substitute another firm cheese, such as Pecorino Romano or ricotta salata.
Recipe from Every Day Meals from Martha Stewart Living website and modified by High Desert Farmers Market