Summer Vegetable Ratatouille
- 2 onion, sliced into thin rings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 2 zucchini, cubed
- 2 medium yellow squash, cubed
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 4 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the zucchini in batches until slightly browned on all sides. Remove the zucchini and place in the pot with the onions and garlic.
- Sauté all the remaining vegetables one batch at a time, adding 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet each time you add a new set of vegetables. Once each batch has been sautéed add them to the large pot as was done in step 2.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaf and thyme and cover the pot. Cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and parsley to the large pot; cook another 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaf and adjust seasoning.