Eggplant & Spaghetti Squash Parmesan
By Micki Brown
1 large spaghetti squash
1 large Black Beauty eggplant (or equivalent), peeled, ½-inch slices
1 pound Italian sausage links (optional), cut in half and browned
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 jars (18.3 ounce) diced tomatoes
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp dried basil
6-8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
¼ to ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds, and place cut side down in a baking pan with ¾ to 1 inch of water. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour or until squash is tender. Once done, remove from oven and, using a fork, remove squash strands from the skin. Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Place bread crumbs and beaten egg in separate bowls. Heat ¼ cup of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip the eggplant slices into the egg, then coat with bread crumbs. Place the coated eggplant slices in the heated oil and pan-fry until they are golden brown on both sides. May need to be done in 2 or more batches. Drain on a paper towel.
- In another skillet, heat ¼ cup of olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and basil, and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 or larger baking pan. Add the separated strands of the entire spaghetti squash. Next add the eggplant slices in a single layer, then the Italian sausage (optional). Sprinkle the parmesan cheese, and then top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour or until cheese is melted and just beginning to turn golden brown.
- Let rest for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy!