By Micki Brown
4 large artichokes
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 container pesto (from the farmers market)
1 5-ounce container gorgonzola cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water
1 ½ cups white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated’
- Cut the stem and the top 1 inch off of the artichokes. Carefully, with a sharp knife, cut out the center pink leaves and the thistle portion. You will be left with the heart and the larger leaves that resemble an artichoke cup. Separate the leaves so that there is a little space between each one.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, pesto, gorgonzola, and 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Stuff the artichokes with the bread crumb mixture … in the cup area and between each of the leaves.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil, the sauté 1 clove of minced garlic until it is fragrant. Cool a bit, then add the water, wine and lemon juice and bring to boil. Transfer to a large casserole or deep baking pan.
- Gently place the stuffed artichokes in the liquid mixture. Cover with foil and place in a preheated (375 degrees) oven. Bake for about 60-70 minutes. Remove the foil, top with the parmesan cheese and bake another 5+ minutes until the parmesan has melted.
- Let cool slightly before serving.