Winter Squash & Greens Soup
By Micki Brown
8 cups winter squash (I used a mix of butternut and blue Hubbard), peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
1 onion, chopped
1 medium red jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
5-6 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 can full fat coconut milk
1 bunch greens (I used Swiss chard), large stems removed, chopped
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno and cook until the veggies become tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the squash, broth and spices, bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 30-45 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves, then transfer the soup (in batches) to a blender, or leave in the pot and use an immersion blender, and blend until smooth. Return soup to the pot.
- Bring to a gentle boil and add the greens and cook until they have wilted.
- Add the coconut milk, stir well and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes. Serve and enjoy!